Crochet Christmas Coasters – Free Pattern
This free crochet pattern for Crochet Christmas Coasters is an easy, quick, crochet Christmas decoration pattern. Make a crochet coaster set for a gift or make your own home super festive with these Christmas crochet coasters!
Before we begin, I would like to thank you for visiting Jo to the World Creations, a site dedicated to helping you give the gift of crochet.
More free patterns (that make awesome crochet gifts) are on the way! Sign up for my emails, follow me and never wonder “What should I make for…” again!
FREE PATTERNS FOR CROCHET GIFTS
Delivered to your inbox
AND GET A FREE PDF OF THE LOVE PILLOW
& A FREE CROCHET CHEAT SHEET
Unsubscribe at any time.
Follow Me on
About these Christmas Crochet Coasters
- Each crochet coaster works up quickly (you can make a few before the end of your favorite Christmas movie!) and they use only a small amount of yarn (way less than a quarter of a skein in total).
- The finished size is approx 5.5″ x 5.5″, which is perfect for any holiday drink.
- This Christmas Crochet Coasters Pattern is written in English for right-handed crochet using standard US crochet terminology. If you’re more familiar with UK terminology, check out my US to UK Conversion Chart.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links meaning I may receive a commission for purchases made through links in this post at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Get the PDF!
Purchase the printer-friendly PDF of this pattern that you can instantly download! It includes everything from this free pattern but you can easily save, print and access it anytime!
For only $0.14 a day, you can get this pattern as a PDF and my entire library of 100+ print-ready, ad-free PDF crochet patterns!
Crochet Coasters for Christmas – Pattern Details
Each coaster is approx 5.5” x 5.5”
4″ x 4″ = 15 sc and 17 rows
Yarn: Any size 4 (medium) for the main part of the coaster and bulky fleece size 5 (bulky) yarn for the fluffy border. For the main part of the coaster, I used Loops & Threads Impeccable Yarn, Solid in “Cherry” (red), “Sunny Day” (gold) and “Black.” This yarn is size 4 (medium) and 100% acrylic. The size is 4.5 oz / 127.5 g. A skein is 285 yd./260m and you need less than a quarter skein in total.
For the fluffy border, a few yards of Bernat Pipsqueak in “Whitey White.” This yarn is size 5 (bulky). The size is 3.50 oz. / 100 g. A skein is 101 yd / 92 m.
Crochet Hook Size: G/6 (4.25mm) or size needed to obtain gauge.
Supplies for Back of Coaster (Optional): Felt for the back of each coaster (a 4.5″ x 4.5″ square piece for each coaster), glue (I used Fabric Fusion glue by Aleene’s).
Other: Yarn Needle, Scissors.
ch = chain
st = stitch
sts = stitches
sl st = slip stitch
sc = single crochet
RS = Right Side: The front of the coasters
WS = Wrong Side: The back of the coasters
How to Crochet With Two Colors
New to colorwork? Read my step-by-step guide: How to Crochet with Two Colors. You’ll be a pro in colorwork in no time!
Christmas Coasters Pattern Notes:
- Each row has 17 stitches.
- Ch 1 and turn after every row.
- Ch 1 does not count as a stitch.
- Always work in the 1st st (the st attached to ch).
- Catch your float every 4-6 stitches (learn how to catch/trap floats).
- Stretch your coaster wide after each row.
- Ensure all strands are always kept on the wrong side of the work.
- Add/switch color when you have two loops of the old color on the sc stitch BEFORE the new color stitch.
- Read the chart from right to left when working on right side rows and left to right when working on the wrong side. The chart is lightly shaded on wrong sides to help you remember. (The written instructions lists everything in the correct order)
Please note: This pattern and all images associated with this pattern cannot be copied, shared, altered or sold on your own. You are welcome to sell the finished product but please include a link (if online) and reference jototheworld.com.
Just a Reminder!
This pattern is also available as a PDF, which includes everything listed here but as a printer-friendly PDF that you can instantly download, save, print, make notes on and keep forever.
Get this PDF with an All-Access Membership!
Only $0.14 a day!
- Instant Access to 100+ Premium PDF Crochet Patterns
- Make Gifts for Every Occasion!
- Save, Print & Keep Forever
- No Ads or Popups
- Happiness Guaranteed!
Crochet Christmas Coasters Pattern Instructions
(Pattern chart is below)
If you crochet tightly, you may want to go up a hook size for the starting chains (only) to ensure you can work more easily into the back ridge loop on Row 1.
Start: With red yarn, ch 18. (Continue working in red until instructed to change colors on Row 7).
Row 1 (RS): Sc into the back ridge loop of the 2nd ch from hook (see pic below for where back ridge loop is). Sc in each back ridge loop across. Reminders: ch 1 and turn after each row. Each row has 17 sts.
(Work in both loops from now on.)
Row 2 (WS): Sc in each st across.
Rows 3 – 6: Repeat Row 2.
Note About Colorwork Instructions:
In the next row, you will begin changing colors. Every stitch is a single crochet (sc). The pattern does not say to sc because it gets too jumbled. Instead it says something like: RED x 4, GOLD x 9, RED x 4 which means: using red yarn, sc for 3 sts, add the gold yarn on the last (the 4th) st. Using the gold yarn, sc for 8 sts, on the last (the 9th), change back to red. With red, sc for 4 sts. Remember to catch your float every 4-6 stitches (in this example, you would catch the red yarn into the gold).
Row 7 (RS): RED x 4, GOLD x 9, RED x 4.
Row 8 (WS): RED x 4, GOLD x 9, RED x 4.
Before turning, attach black yarn. Fasten off red yarn. With black, ch 1 and turn.
Row 9 (RS): BLACK x 4, GOLD x 2, BLACK x 5, GOLD x 2, BLACK x 4.
Row 10 (WS): BLACK x 4, GOLD x 2, BLACK x 5, GOLD x 2, BLACK x 4.
Row 11 (RS): Repeat Row 9.
Row 12 (WS): Repeat Row 10.
Before turning, attach red yarn. Fasten off black yarn. With red, ch 1 and turn.
Row 13 (RS): RED x 4, GOLD x 9, RED x 4.
Row 14 (WS): RED x 4, GOLD x 9, RED x 4. Fasten off gold yarn.
Rows 15 – 20: With red yarn, sc in each st across.
Fasten off and weave in all loose ends.
Christmas Coasters Border
With coaster facing you, attach fluffy white yarn with a sl st onto any corner. Make 2 sc in same corner st. Sc around, making 3 sc in each remaining corner st. When back at start, sl st into 1st sc to join.
- White square = sc with Red on right side rows
- Light grey square = sc with Red on wrong side rows
- Black square = sc with Black
- Gold square = sc with Gold
After completing the entire pattern, I would recommend blocking these coasters by pinning them down (with rust proof pins), spraying with water and leaving them to dry. Do not iron! Blocking helps the corners of the coasters not curl up, ensures the coaster lies flat and holds the square shape.
I attached felt backs to the coasters to make them have a smooth bottom, hide the carried yarn and for a more polished look.
I attached the felt to the back of the coasters with Aleene’s Fabric Fusion glue and followed these steps:
- Cut your felt into a 4” x 4” square
- Round out the corners (I found this made the back look nicer)
- Put the fabric glue all around (approximately .75” away from edge).
- Flatten the glue to ensure there isn’t a big bump when it dries (I used a piece of cardboard to spread it)
- Lay your felt square onto the back and press down. Leave to dry completely.
And ta-da! Now you have very festive new coasters!
Download. Print. Keep.
Get Instant Access to ALL Printable Patterns
Make your crocheting more enjoyable, relaxing and productive with printable PDF patterns.
- 100+ premium crochet patterns.
- Download, save and print from any device.
- No ads or popups!
Not sure yet? Take a look at the Pattern Library and see all the patterns you can download once you’re a member.
Save with Pattern Bundles
For a limited time, I’ve grouped some of my most popular crochet patterns and I’m offering them as pattern bundles where you can get the printable versions for one low, discounted price. Check out these incredible Crochet Pattern Bundles.
Easy Baby Blanket Bundle
With this Easy Baby Blanket Bundle, you’ll get SIX easy crochet baby blankets as printable downloads. Each pattern includes step-by-step instructions and a full video tutorial.
Delightful Baby Blanket Bundle
This incredible deal includes six SIX blanket patterns that are a delight to make and create truly stunning blankets – all as printable PDFs for one low, discounted price.
Moss Stitch Pattern Bundle
All your favorite Moss Stitch patterns in one bundle! Get SEVEN easy Moss Stitch crochet patterns as ad-free, print-ready PDFs to print, save and keep forever.
Free Crochet Cheat Sheet
Get instant access to this Ultimate Crochet Cheat Sheet! Plus you’ll receive free patterns for crochet gifts delivered right to your inbox!