Crochet Coaster Patterns for Every Occasion
If you are looking for crochet coaster patterns, you have come to the right place! I’ve rounded up some of the very best free crochet coaster patterns out there and I’m excited to share these patterns with you.
Crocheting coasters is such a fun and usually very quick project. I love having people over to my home and having my crochet coasters on display. I also love giving coasters as a gift as you really can’t go wrong by giving someone a set of coasters.
If you are looking for a crochet coaster pattern for your own home or to give as a gift, you’ll find patterns ranging in style from modern to boho to classic, varying in skill level from beginner and easy to more advanced as well as coasters to make for different holidays.
The Best Yarn for Crochet Coasters
I often get asked “what yarn should I used to crochet coasters?” The answer is that is truly depends on the pattern. If the pattern recommends a certain kind of yarn, it’s usually best to use that.
In general, cotton yarn is a top choice for coasters as more water absorbent than acrylic yarn. If you live where there is a lot of humidity and your drinks have a lot of condensation, cotton yarn may be preferred.
Can Coasters Be Made with Acrylic Yarn?
If you are just looking to avoid rings on your table from your drinks, acrylic yarn is perfectly fine. While cotton may be more absorbent, acrylic coasters serve as a great barrier between your table and the drink.
There is a perception that acrylic yarn will melt if you put a hot drink on it, however that is not the case. Your drink would need to be 200 degrees for the yarn to get damaged and 300 degrees before it starts to melt. That would need to be a very very hot drink! So you really don’t need to worry about melting coasters.
How Much Yarn is Needed for Crochet Coasters
A great part about crocheting coasters is how little yarn is actually used, so crochet coasters make great scrap-busting projects to use up leftover yarn. The exact amount of yarn required for coasters depends on the pattern and the weight of yarn. As a general estimation, one coaster may require around 50 yards (45 meters) of worsted weight yarn. Then you would multiply that number by the amount of coasters you are crocheting.
Tips for Making Great Crochet Coasters
One of the biggest challenges when it comes to making coasters is having it actually lie flat. Especially with square coasters, the corners can sometimes curl up. Here are some tips to help your coasters look more professional.
Block Your Coasters
To help keep the shape of your coaster and help them lie completely flat, I highly recommend blocking each coaster after you are finished. You can block your coasters by pinning them down (with rust proof pins), spraying with water and leaving them to dry. Do not iron!
Adding backs to the completed coaster can give your finished work a very professional touch. I usually attached felt backs to each coasters to make them have a smooth bottom. Many of my crochet coaster patterns involve colorwork and the felt also helps hide the carried yarn. You can add felt backs by cutting the felt to your desired size and shape, put fabric glue all around (ensure to flatten the glue so there isn’t a big bump), press it firmly to the back of your coaster and leave it dry completely.
You can also crochet a back and attach it to the bottom of your coaster.
50+ of the Best Crochet Coaster Patterns
So now that you know the best yarn to use and some tips for making your coasters look great, let’s find you your next crochet coaster pattern!
Easy Crochet Coaster Patterns
If you are new to crochet and are looking for free crochet coaster patterns for beginners, here are some very easy crochet coaster patterns:
1) Fun and Easy Crochet Flower Coasters by Annie Design Crochet
2) Easy Crochet Coasters Pattern by Made by Gootie
3) Easy Crochet Coaster Pattern by Crochet 365 Knit Too
4) Caroline Easy Crochet Coasters by Stitching Together
5) Mandala Coasters Crochet Pattern by Hooked on Patterns
6) Heart Coaster Crochet Pattern by Hooked on Patterns
7) Easy Grit Stitch Mug Rug by Remington Lane
Square Crochet Coaster Patterns
Looking for the perfect square crochet coaster pattern? Here are some fantastic square crochet coasters.
8) Diamonds and Tassels Coasters by Blackstone Designs
9) Square Boho Bobble Coasters by You Should Craft
10) Little Tree Coasters by Blackstone Designs
11) Juliet Coaster Crochet Pattern by Christaco Design
12) Square Crochet Coasters Pattern by Crafting Each Day
13) Flower Garden Diamond Coasters by Nana’s Crafty Home
14) Crochet Pretty Square Coaster by Crochet ‘n’ Create
15) Wine Coasters Crochet Pattern by Jo to the World Creations
16) Beer Coasters Crochet Pattern by Jo to the World Creations
17) Martini Coasters Crochet Pattern by Jo to the World Creations
18) Margarita Coasters Crochet Pattern by Jo to the World Creations
For a limited time you can get these four drink coasters as print-ready, ad-free PDFs for one low price! Get your Drink Coaster Bundle today!
Round/Circle Crochet Coaster Patterns
Here are some really neat round/circle crochet coaster patterns:
19) Mug Coaster Crochet Pattern by Crochet ‘n’ Create
20) Crochet Spiral Coasters Pattern by Hooked on Patterns
21) Citrus Slices Tunisian Coaster Crochet Pattern by YarnAndy
22) Happy Little Sun Tunisian Coaster Crochet Pattern by YarnAndy
23) Rounds of Flowers Coasters by Raffamusa Designs
24) Quinnley Coaster Free Pattern by Through the Loop
25) Summer Sunflower Coaster Crochet Pattern by Hooked on Patterns
26) Forget Me Not Lace Coasters by Desert Blossom Crafts
27) Spring Blooms Crochet Coaster by The Unraveled Mitten
28) Sweet Stripes Coasters Pattern by Green Fox Farms Designs
29) Crochet Flower Coasters by Meladora’s Creations
30) Boho Crochet Coasters (Round) Pattern by You Should Craft
Mug Rug Crochet Coaster Patterns
While mug rug is just another term for coaster, I thought these mug rug crochet patterns deserved their own category:
31) It’s Coffee Time Mug Rug by The Loopy Lamb
32) Boho Crochet Heart Coaster by Stitching Together
33) Polka Dot Mug Rugs Tapestry Crochet Pattern by Raffamusa Designs
34) Monstera Leaf Crochet Mug Rug Pattern by The Loopy Lamb
35) Easy Mug Rug Coasters Crochet Pattern by Simply Hooked by Janet
36) Mug Rug Mosaic Crochet Pattern by My Crochet Space
Unique Crochet Coaster Patterns
While every coaster pattern in this list is amazing, these are some of the cutest and most unique crochet coaster patterns around!
37) Crochet Crab Mug Rug Pattern by The Loopy Lamb
38) Teddy Bear Coasters Crochet Pattern by Hooked on Patterns
39) Paw Print Coasters Crochet Pattern by Jo to the World Creations
40) Koala Coaster Crochet Pattern by Hooked on Patterns
41) A Slice of Summer – Crochet Watermelon Applique or Coaster by Golden Lucy Crafts
42) Unique Boho Crochet Coasters with Beads by Simply Hooked by Janet
43) Diamond Coasters Crochet Hexagon Pattern by Made by Gootie
44) Coastal Waves Coaster Crochet Pattern by Pine Tree Crochet
45) Flower Drink Coasters & Caddy by A Crocheted Simplicity
46) Cute Crochet Cat Coasters by Crochet 365 Knit Too
47) Apache Tears Crochet by My Crochet Space
48) Chicken Butt Coasters by Wilmade
Holiday Crochet Coaster Patterns
St. Patrick’s Day Coasters
49) Shamrock Crochet Coaster by Briana K Designs
Fourth of July Coasters
50) USA Mug Rug by Remington Lane
51) Crochet Pumpkin Coaster Pattern by Desert Blossom Crafts
52) Christmas Crochet Coasters by Jo to the World Creations
And last but not least, Crochet Turkey Coaster Pattern by Jo to the World Creations
I hope this collection of crochet coaster patterns has helped you find your next project. Happy coaster crocheting!