I Love You Can Cozy Crochet Pattern
Crochet this thoughtful, personalized Valentine’s gift or Anniversary present for that special someone in your life…it’s a crochet gift idea that will be loved and actually used!
The pattern (below):
- Includes full written instructions for the pattern and a chart/graph
- Is a great introduction to colorwork for beginners, only requires knowledge of how to single crochet, chain stitch, slip stitch and read a pattern.
- Also great for more advanced crocheters who love colorwork (but experience with colorwork is not required)
Worried this is too advanced? It’s actually super easy…you CAN do it!!! (sorry, couldn’t myself!)
If you’re new to colorwork or want a refresher, I would recommend reading my guide or watching my video tutorial on How to Crochet with Two Colors.
This I Love You Can Cozy Croceht Pattern is written in English for right-handed crochet using standard US crochet terminology. If you’re more familiar with UK terminology, check out my US to UK Conversion Chart.
This post may contain affiliate links meaning I may receive commission for purchases made through links in this post at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I use this money to buy more yarn! Read more.
Get the PDF!
Purchase the printer-friendly PDF of this pattern that you can instantly download! It includes everything from this free pattern but you can easily save, print and access it anytime!
Plus, you’d be supporting my work so I can bring you more crochet patterns like this!
I Love You Can Cozy Pattern Details
Easy – Colorwork and Simple Stitches
- The finished Can Cozy fits a 12 fl. oz / 355 ml beer/soda/pop can that is 8 1/4 inches around.
- The diameter of the bottom is 2.75 inches.
- The side is 3.75 inches from top to bottom.
- Each row (called Rounds in this pattern) around (when holding a can) is 10 inches around.
4” x 4” = 13 sc and 15 rows
Yarn: Any two colors of worsted weight, medium (4) yarn. Less than a quarter of a skein is needed for the main color and approx. 12 yards is needed for the contrast color.
Yarn used in photos: Loops & Threads Impeccable Yarn, Solid. This yarn is medium (4) weight and 100% acrylic. The size is 4.5 oz / 127.5 g. A skein is 285 yd./260m. Colors used in photos: Red & White Can Cozy – main color: “Cherry” and contrast color: “White.”
Crochet Hook Size: H/8 (5.00 mm) or size needed to obtain gauge
Other Materials: scissors, yarn needle, stitch marker and measuring tape
st = stitch
sl st = slip stitch: insert hook into stitch, pull through yarn
sc = single crochet: insert hook into stitch, yarn over, pull through (2 loops on hook), yarn over and pull yarn through both loops
ch = chain: yarn over, pull though loop on hook
MC or A = Main Color: The bottom and background of the Can Cozy
CC or B = Contrast Color: The letters and heart
BLO = Back Loops Only: work your single crochet stitch into the back loops only
- This pattern has two sections: The Bottom of the Can Cozy and the Side of the Can Cozy.
- The Pattern Chart (below) applies to only the Side of the Can Cozy (not the bottom)
- The Row numbers (called Rounds in this pattern) are reset when bottom is completed.
- Chain 1 never counts as a stitch.
- This pattern is worked in a continuous spiral. Do not turn your work after each round (except when instructed to after Round 4 of the bottom).
- If you need help creating a magic ring/circle, Crochet365KnitToo has a great step by step photo tutorial here.
Please note: This pattern and all images associated with this pattern cannot be copied, shared, altered or sold on your own. You are welcome to sell the finished product but please include a link (if online) and reference jototheworld.com.
Bottom of Can Cozy
Before beginning, please ensure to measure your can to ensure it’s 12 fl. oz / 355 ml.
With your MC and H/8 hook, create a magic ring/circle.
Round 1: Sc 11 times into magic ring/circle. Pull tight. (11 sc) Join with a sl st in 1st sc. Do not turn.
Round 2: ch 1. 2 sc into first st (the same st where you joined), 1 sc into next st. Repeat: *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next st* until there is one st left. 2 sc in last st. (17 sc). Join with a sl st in 1st sc. Do not turn.
Round 3: ch 1. 2 sc in first st (the same st where you joined), sc in next 2 sts. Repeat: *2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts* around until there are 2 stitches left. 2 sc in next. st. 1 sc in last st. (23 sc). Join with a sl st in 1st sc. Do not turn.
Round 4: ch 1. 2 sc in first st (the same st where you joined), sc in next 2 sts. Repeat: *2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts* around until there are two stitches left. 2 sc in next st, sc in next st. (31 sc). Join with a sl st.
Measure work. It should measure 2.75” (if it is bigger or smaller, start again with a bigger or smaller hook size)
Turn and start working in the opposite direction. Do not fasten off.
Side Of Can Cozy
Note: Round numbers are now reset and the Pattern Chart now applies.
Round 1: (Ensure that you’ve turned and are working in the opposite direction). Ch 1 and sc in the back loop only of the first st (which is the last sc from the previous round). Sc in BLO in each st around. (The stitch total for this Round and all future Rounds is 31 sts). Sl st into both loops of the 1st sc to join. (For this Round and all future Rounds, do not turn).
Round 2 and 3: ch 1. sc in BLO of each st around. Sl st into both loops of the 1st sc to join.
Rounds 4 – 9:
Every stitch is a single crochet (sc). The instructions for these rows do not say to sc because it gets too jumbled with all the back and forth between A (Main Color) and B (Contrast Color). Instead it says something like: A 3, B 4, which means: using the main color, single crochet for 3 stitches, add the contrast color on the last stitch of the main color and now using the contrast color, single crochet for 4 stitches.
Work in the back loops only of each st except when joining the round. To join the round sl st into both loops of the 1st sc.
Changing Colors Notes
- As the side of the can cozy is worked in a continuous round, you will be working on the right side only (the right side is also referred to as the front, outside or RS).
- When it comes time to add the contrast color, you will add/pick up and use the contrast color when working on the letters and heart symbol and carry the main color along the wrong side (along the inside/the back) and it will always be nearby whenever you need to use it. Please refer to my guide on How to Crochet with Two Colors for how to add/change colors.
- Once you add the contrast color on Round 4, you will be carrying it all the way around until the letters / heart symbol are finished (at the end of Round 9).
- Ensure all strands of yarn are always kept on the wrong side (the inside of the Can Cozy).
- Always add/change colors when you have two loops on your hook with the current color on the sc stitch BEFORE the new color stitch.
Catching Float Notes
- To ensure the strand of yarn that you are carrying doesn’t get too long, you will “catch” your “float”. Please refer to my guide on How to Crochet with Two Colors for how to catch floats.
- The pattern does not indicate when to catch floats. You need to remember to do this every 2-3 stitches.
- Always check each “catch” to ensure the opposite colored yarn is not visible from the front.
Round 4: Ch 1. A 4, B 2, A 3, B 2, A 4, B 1, A 6, B 1, A 4, B 1, A 3. Sl st into both loops of 1st sc to join.
Round 5: Ch 1. A 3, B 4, A 1, B 4, A 3, B 1, A 5, B 3, A 3, B 1, A 3. Sl st into both loops of 1st sc to join.
Round 6: Ch 1. A 3, B 1, A 2, B 1, A 1, B 1, A 2, B 1, A 3, B 1, A 4, B 5, A 2, B 1, A 3. Sl st into both loops of 1st sc to join.
Round 7: Ch 1. A 3, B 1, A 2, B 1, A 1, B 1, A 2, B 1, A 2, B 3, A 2, B 7, A 1, B 1, A 3. Sl st into both loops of 1st sc to join.
Round 8: Ch 1. A 3, B 1, A 2, B 1, A 1, B 4, A 1, B 2, A 1, B 2, A 1, B 3, A 1, B 3, A 1, B 1, A 3. Sl st into both loops of 1st sc to join.
Round 9: Ch 1. A 3, B 1, A 2, B 1, A 2, B 2, A 2, B 1, A 3, B 1, A 2, B 1, A 3, B 1, A 2, B 1, A 3. You can cut off the contrast color. Leave a tail to weave in. Sl st into both loops of 1st sc to join.
Round 10 – 12: Ch 1 and sc in BLO of each st around. Sl st into both loops of 1st sc to join.
Round 13: Ch 1. Working in both loops of each st, make 2 slip stitches in next stitch (both sl sts in the same st) and in each st around. Join with a sl st in 1st st made.
Fasten off and weave in loose ends. Weave main color into main color parts and contrast color into contrast color parts.
Pattern Chart Legend:
- White Square = single crochet with main color
- Dark Grey Square = single crochet with contrast color
- (white circle) = 2 slip stitches into same stitch
And now you have a wonderful Valentine’s Day crochet gift for your Valentine or for another occasion where you want to share your love with crochet!