This post may contain affiliate links meaning I may receive commission for purchases made through links in this post at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I use this money to buy more yarn! Read more.
Adorable Baby Collection
These booties are part of my adorable baby set. Make the matching Adorable Baby Blanket!
How to Make Baby Booties (Crochet)
Baby booties are one of my favorite things to crochet. I think I made about 100 pairs each time I was pregnant. If you are wondering how to make crochet baby booties, you have come to the right place! This free pattern provides step by step instructions as well as a video tutorial.
About This Free Crochet Baby Booties Pattern
- The pattern comes in three sizes (newborn, 3 – 6 months & 6 – 12 months). The pattern instructions are the same for each size but the weight of the yarn and crochet hook sizes are different.
- This crochet bootie pattern is ideal for beginners. Plus they work up super quickly and are fun to make.
- Uses less than quarter of a skein of yarn, perfect for using up some of your yarn stash.
- Practical – the booties tie up around the ankle so they won’t easily fall off.
- This Baby Booties Crochet Pattern is written in English for right-handed crochet using standard US crochet terminology. If you’re more familiar with UK terminology, check out my US to UK Conversion Chart.
Get the PDF!
Purchase the printer-friendly PDF of this pattern that you can instantly download! It includes everything from this free pattern but you can easily save, print and access it anytime!
Plus, you’d be supporting my work so I can bring you more crochet patterns like this!
Crochet Baby Booties – Video Tutorial
Here is a video tutorial with step by step video instructions on how to crochet these baby booties. Or scroll down for the written pattern.
Crochet Baby Bootie Sole:
2:13 – Foundation Round
2:42 – Round 1
5:37 – Round 2
9:06 – Round 3
Crochet Baby Booties Sides:
13:33 – Round 4
17:06 – Round 5
21:15 – Round 6
24:29 – Round 7
26:44 – Round 8
29:40 – Round 9
32:09 – Round 10
Crochet Baby Booties Cuff: 32:47
Crochet Baby Booties Shoelaces: 43:33
Warning: these are not to be worn on baby’s feet when he/she is walking or standing. There is no slip resistance whatsoever. I am such a stickler for safety – please ensure you remove these booties if there’s any chance of the baby standing or walking in the them.
Crochet Baby Booties Pattern Details
The pattern is available in three sizes: newborn, 3 – 6 months and 6 – 12 months.
The pattern instructions are the same for all sizes but the weight of yarn and crochet hook sizes are different.
Crochet Baby Booties – Newborn Finished Size
- Sole length (from tip of toe to heel): 3”- 3.25”
- Width of heel: 1.75”
- Width of ball of foot: 2.25”
- Height (from bottom of sole to top of cuff): 2.5”
Crochet Baby Booties – 3 – 6 Months Finished Size
- Sole length (from tip of toe to heel): 3.75”- 4”
- Width of heel: 2.25”
- Width of ball of foot: 2.5”
- Height (from bottom of sole to top of cuff): 3”
Crochet Baby Booties – 6 – 12 Months Finished Size
- Sole length (from tip of toe to heel): 4.25”- 4.5”
- Width of heel: 2.5”
- Width of ball of foot: 3”
- Height (from bottom of sole to top of cuff): 3.5”
Newborn Size: light (size 3) yarn – two colors.
- Main Bootie Color: approx 44 yds / 40 m (in total)
- Sole & Shoelace Color: approx 22 yds / 20 m (in total)
3 – 6 Months & 6 – 12 Months Sizes: worsted weight (size 4) yarn – two colors.
- Main Bootie Color: approx 46 yds / 42 m (in total)
- Sole & Shoelace Color: approx 24 yds / 22 m (in total)
Yarn Used in Photos
Newborn Size Booties:
- Main Color: Bernat Baby Sport (Light (3) Weight, 100% Acrylic, 12.3 oz / 350g) in Baby Pink & Baby Blue
- Soles & Shoelaces: Bernat Softee Baby (Light (3) Weight, 100% Acrylic, 5 oz / 140 g) in Flannel
3 – 6 Months & 6 – 12 Months Size Booties:
- Main Color: Craft Smart Value (Medium (4) Weight, 100% acrylic, 7 oz / 198 g) in Pink Rose and Arctic
- Soles & Shoelaces: Impeccable by Loops & Threads (Medium (4) Weight, 100% acrylic, 4.5oz / 127.5g) in True Grey
Crochet Hook Sizes
Hook Size: D/3 (3.25mm)
3 – 6 Months
Hook Size: D/3 (3.25mm)
6 – 12 Months
Hook Size: H/8 (5.00mm) for everything but the shoelace. For the shoelace: D/3 (3.25mm)
OTHER MATERIALS (ALL SIZES)
Scissors, Yarn Needle, Measuring Tape, Stitch Marker
ch = chain
st = stitch
sts = stitches
sl st = slip stitch
sc = single crochet
hdc = half double crochet
dc = double crochet
sc2tog = single crochet two together
hdc2tog = half double crochet two together
PM = Place (stitch) Marker
BLO = work in Back Loops Only
Crochet Baby Booties Pattern Notes:
- The booties are made from the sole up.
- They are worked in the round. Do not turn your work at the end of each round (except for Row 4, which is explained in the written instructions).
- Ch 1 does not count as a stitch.
- Always start in the same st as the chain.
- Repeat instructions such as [2 hdc in next 2 st, hdc] x 3 means to repeat for a total of 3 times. In this example the stitches would look like this: 2hdc, 2hdc, hdc, 2hdc, 2hdc, hdc, 2hdc, 2hdc, hdc.
Please note: This pattern and all images associated with this pattern cannot be copied, shared, altered or sold on your own. You are welcome to sell the finished product but please include a link (if online) and reference jototheworld.com.
Crochet Baby Booties Pattern Instructions (All Sizes)
Baby Booties Soles
Note: Rows 1 – 3 are worked in a continuous round.
With the color you want for the bootie sole, ch 8.
Round 1: In the 2nd ch from hook, 2 hdc in the same chain (Place Marker (PM) in first hdc), hdc in next 5 chains, 6 hdc in last chain. Working along the other side, hdc in next 5 ch, 2 hdc in last st – do not join (20 sts)
Round 2: 2 sc in next st (PM in first sc), 2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts, hdc in next 3 sts, [2 dc in next st] x 6, hdc in next 3 sts, sc in next 2 sts, [2 sc in next st] x 2 – do not join (30 sts)
Round 3: hdc (PM), hdc, [2 hdc in next st] x 3, hdc in next 5 sts, [2 hdc in next st, hdc in next st] x 6, hdc in next 5 sts, [2 hdc in next st] x 3. (42 sts) sl st in next st.
Round 4: Add new color (the color you want for the main part of the bootie). Fasten off old color leaving a tail to weave in ends. ch 1 and turn (you’ll be crocheting in the opposite direction and your 1st st will be into the sl st you just made in the previous round, which is attached to the ch 1 st).
Working in back loops only for this round (which are the ones furthest away from you), sc in the back loop only of the 1st st. sc in the back loops only of each st around (42 sc). sl st into both loops of 1st sc to join.
*Work in both loops from now on.*
Round 5: Ch 1, working in both loops, sc in next 11 sts, [hdc2tog, hdc in next 4 sts] x 3, hdc2tog, sc in next 11 sts, sl st in 1st sc to join (38 sts)
*Measure sole length to ensure proper sizing – refer to finished sizes of sole length (above under Sizes). If much bigger or smaller, change hook size and start again*
Round 6: Ch 1, sc in next 10 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, [hdc2tog, hdc2tog, hdc] x 3, hdc, sc in next 10 sts, sl st in 1st sc to join (32 sts)
Round 7: Ch 1, sc in next 11 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, [hdc2tog, hdc in next 2 sts] x 2, sc in next 11 sts, sl st in 1st sc to join (30 sts)
Round 8: Ch 1, sc, sc2tog, sc in next 8 sts, hdc, [hdc2tog] x 3, hdc, sc in next 8 sts, sc2tog, sc, sl st in 1st sc to join (25 sts)
Round 9: Ch 1, sc, sc2tog, sc in next 6 sts, hdc, [hdc2tog] x 3, hdc, sc in next 6 sts, sc2tog, sl st in 1st sc to join (20 sts)
Round 10: Ch 1, sc in each st around. Sl st in 1st sc to join (20 sts). Do not fasten off.
Baby Booties Cuff (All Sizes)
Step 1: Ch 6
Step 2: In 2nd ch from hook, sc into back ridge loop.
Sc into each back ridge loop down ch (5 sc).
Step 3: Sl st into the next 2 stitches to attach the cuff to the bootie (the first st is the st that is attached to first ch st). Ch 1 and turn.
Step 4: Skip the two sl sts you just made. Sc into the back loop only of the last sc you made (the bottom of the chain). Sc into each back loop up the chain (5 sc). Ch 1 and turn.
Step 5: Sc back down into the back loops only (5 sc). Sl st into the next st of the bootie (not the st attached). Sl st into the following st. Ch 1 and turn.
Repeat this process of skipping the two slip stitches, then working up into the back loops only, ch 1 and turn, work down into the back loops only, slip stitch into the next two stitches all the way around.
Finishing the Cuff
When you’ve worked your way around the bootie and there are only two stitches left to slip stitch into (to attach the cuff to), slip stitch into those two stitches. Do not chain. Line up both sides so they are even with each other. Slip stitch into the outside loops of both sides to join together. Sl st into each of the outside loops of both sides all the way up (5 sl sts in total).
Fasten off and weave in loose ends.
Baby Bootie Shoelaces
Still using your D/3 (3.25mm) hook, chain until you have a shoelace that is 12” long. That is approximately 60 very tight chains but measure to ensure your chains = 12”.
3 – 6 Months
Still using your D/3 (3.25mm) hook, chain until you have a shoelace that is 14” long. That is approximately 65 very tight chains but measure to ensure that your chains = 14”.
6 – 12 Months
Switch to a D/3 (3.25mm) hook. Chain until you have a shoelace that is 16” long. That is approximately 70 very tight chains but measure to ensure that your chains = 16”.
Shoelace Placement (All Sizes)
Poke one end out slightly off centered in the front of the bootie in the row of all single crochet stitches before the ribbing/cuff. Weave the shoelace in and out around the bootie leaving 2 sc sts between the shoelace going in and out. (I use a yarn needle to help weave in and out).
When the other end comes through the other side of the center (there should be 3 sc between the two ends), make the shoelace ends even and tie in a bow.
And that’s it! You’ve made an adorable baby bootie! Now make another and you’ll be ready to give as a gift or warm up your own baby’s cute little feet.
Before You Go…
Get Your Free Cheat Sheet
Sign up for my emails and get free patterns for crochet gifts as well as The Ultimate Crochet Cheat Sheet delivered to your inbox!
Make a Matching Blanket
Make a matching blanket with this free Adorable Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
Make a Matching Hat
Make a matching hat with this free Adorable Baby Hat Crochet Pattern
Make Matching Mittens
Complete the look with these matching Baby Mittens Crochet Pattern
Make Another Baby Gift
Check out my free Simple Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
Find Your Next Project
Share the Love
If you liked this pattern, please share!