Baby Mittens Crochet Pattern
Winter is coming…crochet faster!!! That’s how I feel in the Fall trying to make mittens and hats for my daughters (and booties for my baby).
I normally knit mittens but I’ve recently started making crochet mittens and love how quickly they work up and are just as warm and cozy.
Make Matching Booties and Hat!
These mittens are part of my Booties, Mittens & Hat collection that all match and would make a terrific crochet gift set for baby.
Check out the matching Baby Booties Crochet Pattern (with photo tutorial).
And take a look at the matching Adorable Crochet Baby Hat Crochet Pattern.
That’s going to be one stylish baby!
About These Crochet Baby Mittens
These mittens are designed to fit a 6-9 month old baby but can be easily made for a newborn.
If you’d like to make them for a newborn, you can use a smaller hook size – I would recommend going down to G/6 (4.00mm) hook and lighter (size 3) yarn.
Crocheting Baby Mittens
- Ideal for beginners as the pattern only uses simple stitches…if you know how to single crochet, half double crochet, chain and slip stitch you can make these mittens!
- They work up super quickly – you can easily make these crochet mittens before Sebastian sings Under the Sea (that’s how I measure time these days!)
- You can use any brands and colors of your favorite worsted weight yarn. The yarn I used is machine washable and dryable (in my opinion, a must for baby accessories!)
- Uses only 10 yards of yarn (approximately) per mitten, perfect for using up some of your yarn stash.
- Warm and cozy – keep baby’s hands snug all while looking adorable!
Crochet Baby Mittens Pattern Details
Finished product sizing using worsted weight yarn and an H/8 hook for everything but the cuff/ribbing (G/6 hook for the cuff/ribbing):
- Mitten length (from tip of finger to bottom of cuff): 5 inches
- Width of widest part of hand: 3 inches
- Width of cuff: 2.5 inches
Yarn: Your favorite Worsted Weight (Size 4) Yarn. You only need approximately 10 yards in total.
(I used Craft Smart Value (in Pink Rose) for the main part of the mitten and cuff/ribbing, which is Medium (4) Weight, 100% acrylic, 7 oz / 198 g and 364 yd / 333 m. Contrast line, I used Impeccable by Loops & Threads (in True Grey), which is Medium (4) Weight, 100% acrylic, 4.5oz / 127.5g and 285 yd/260 m)
Crochet Hook: Size H/8 5.00mm and G/6 4.00mm for the cuff/ribbing
Other: Yarn Needle, Scissors
st = stitch
sts = stitches
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
hdc = half double crochet
sl st = slip stitch
Crochet Baby Mittens PATTERN NOTES:
- This Baby Mittens Crochet Pattern is written in English for right-handed crochet using standard US crochet terminology. If you’re more familiar with UK terminology, check out my US to UK Conversion Chart.
- The mittens are worked from the top down.
- They are worked in the round. Do not turn work after a ch 1, continue crocheting in same direction.
- Ch 1 does not count as a stitch.
- Always start in the same st as the chain.
- To begin the pattern, I recommend starting with a magic ring/circle. If you need help creating a magic ring/circle, Crochet365KnitToo has a great step by step photo tutorial here.
Please note: This pattern and all images associated with this pattern cannot be copied, shared, altered or sold on your own. You are welcome to sell the finished product but please include a link (if online) and reference jototheworld.com.
How to Crochet Baby Mittens
Create a magic ring/circle.
Round 1: hdc 6 times into magic ring/circle. Pull tight. Join with a sl st into 1st hdc. (6 sts)
Round 2: Ch 1. 2 hdc in each st around. Join with a sl st into 1st hdc. (12 sts)
Round 3: Ch 1. 2 hdc in first st and 1 hdc in next st. Repeat *2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in next st* around. Join with a sl st in 1st hdc. (18 sts)
Round 4, 5 & 6: Ch 1. hdc in first st and in each st around. Join with a sl st in 1st hdc. (18 sts)
Round 7: Ch 1. hdc2tog, hdc. Repeat *hdc2tog, hdc* around. Join with a sl st in 1st hdc. (12 sts)
Round 8: Add 2nd color by attaching with a sl st. You can leave current (1st) color hanging as long as your work is inside out and pick it back up again when you begin the cuff. With new color, ch 1. (If not changing color, ch 1 with current color). Sc in each st around. Sl st in 1st sc to join. (12 sts)
Round 9: Ch 1. Sc in each st around. Sl st into 1st sc to join (12 sts).
Change hook size to G/6 4.00mm (or one size smaller from the hook size you were using). Here’s a Crochet Hook Sizes Chart for easy reference.
Step 1: Pick up 1st color and attach with a sl st. Fasten off 2nd color, leaving a tail to weave in ends. With 1st color, ch 5 (or if you’re not changing color, with current color ch 5).
Step 3: Sl st into the next 2 stitches to attach the cuff to the mitten. Ensure the first st that you sl st into is not the current st that the ch is attached to. Ch 1 and turn.
Step 4: Skip the two sl sts you just made. Sc into the back loops only of the last sc you made (the bottom of the chain). Sc into each back loop up the chain (4 sc). Ch 1 and turn.
Step 5: Sc back down into the back loops only (4 sc). Sl st into the next st of the mitten (not the st attached). Sl st into the following st. Ch 1 and turn.
Repeat this process of skipping the two slip stitches, then working up into the back loops only, ch 1 and turn, work down, slip stitch into the next two stitches all the way around.
When you’ve slipped stitched into the last two stitches of the mitten (there are no more stitches to attach the cuff to), do not chain. Slip stitch into the outside loops of both sides to join together. Sl st into each of the outside loops of both sides all the way up (4 sl sts in total).
Fasten off and weave in loose ends. Turn right side out.
And that’s it! Make another and either wrap them up for a baby gift or warm up your own baby’s hands!
Before You Go…
Get Your Free Cheat Sheet
Sign up for my emails and get free patterns for crochet gifts as well as The Ultimate Crochet Cheat Sheet delivered to your inbox!
Make Matching Hat & Booties!
Check out the free matching Baby Booties Crochet Pattern
And the free matching Adorable Baby Hat Crochet Pattern
Make Another Baby Gift
Check out my free Simple Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
Find Your Next Project
Share the Love
If you liked this pattern, please share!